This article will show you how to replace battery in kidde carbon monoxide detector step by step. So if you are looking to know it, you can follow this article.
CO detectors usually use backup batteries. These batteries keep the sensor working in the event of power outages and failures. Usually, the useful life of these batteries is only one year.
Therefore, you should mark on your calendar the date corresponding to the next battery replacement. If you forget to do so, the batteries will discharge and your house will be exposed when there’s no AC power.
Kidde carbon monoxide detectors are among the most popular on the market. Replacing the backup battery of one of these devices isn’t that difficult. However, you must follow a series of steps to do it right. In this article you’ll learn the complete procedure to change the batteries in no time.
What is Kidde Carbon Monoxide Detector
It’s an electronic device to detect high levels of CO in the air. It’s made by the Walter Kidde Company, which dedicates to the manufacture of smoke detectors and fire extinguishers. This company is one of the most important in North America. Every year, the Walter Kidde Company gives away smoke detectors to fire departments across the country.
This company began in 1917 by Walter Kidde. He invented the first CO2 extinguisher and smoke detection system for board ships. For over 100 years, Kidde has been the number one company on its branch.
All Kidde carbon monoxide detectors have a backup battery on the back. Depending on the model, they can be a pair of AA batteries or a single 9V battery. Replacing them is very easy and takes no more than 5 minutes. Below, you’ll find an easy-to-understand explanation of how to do it.
Step by Step Guide to Replace Battery in Kidde Monoxide Detector
If it’s been more than a year since you bought your Kidde carbon monoxide detectors, now it’s time to replace the backup battery. To do it you just need to follow this simple procedure:
1. First of all, you have to remove the detector from the wall or ceiling. To do this you just have to push the sensor to the surface. Then turn it counterclockwise. Finally, pull it to release it from the retaining screws.
2. Then, remove the set of wires connected to the sensor. To do so, just lift the lever on the back to detach the connector.
3. After that, put the sensor on a flat surface to work more comfortably.
4. Locate the battery compartment on the back of the sensor. Then, lift the lid that protects the battery. You’ll find a small cleft on the side of the sensor where you can insert your fingernail.
5. Once you can see the battery, push it from its bottom edge using your fingernail. Then turn it out to remove it. You’ll hear a beep, but don’t worry.
6. Then, it’s time to install the new battery. To do this, push the battery sensing tab into the compartment. Then, insert the battery into the compartment, applying slight pressure on the bottom edge.
7. After that, close the lid that protects the battery.
8. Then, connect the electrical connector with the three pins on the back of the sensor. Make sure the connector enters in vertical position and that the pins aren’t exposed.
9. Finally, push the sensor against the surface. Make sure the retaining screws get onto the rail. Then, turn in clockwise direction to fix the sensor in place.
Certainly, replacing the old battery of a CO detector is easier than you thought. Best of all, your bare hands will be the only tools you’ll need during the process. After installing the batteries, make sure the sensor still works by pressing the test button. If you listen to the beep, you can be sure that you did things right.
Looking to buy CO detector? Learn which carbon monoxide detector is best.