Do you know how to remove a garage door lock from the outside? This article can help you to do it.
So, just keep reading for more.
Having a garage door lock is important to keeping your valuable possessions safe. If you’ll be away from home for a long time, a garage door lock will guarantee your peace of mind. The more locks you add to your garage door, the less chance thieves will have to enter your home.
However, garage door locks can sometimes cause problems. For example, when you break the key inside the lock. Things like that happen all the time. If you urgently need to enter your home, you need to act quickly to solve the problem.
Today, you’ll learn an easy method to remove garage door lock from the outside.
What is Garage Door Lock?
A garage door lock is a metal device that helps keep your garage door in locked position. The operation of these devices is quite simple. The user turns a gate handle to move the lock bar to the right or left.
The lock bar slides through a lock bar guide, usually mounted on the wall. When the bar is inserted inside the hole on the wall, the garage door remains locked.
Garage door locks are available in a wide variety of materials. The cheapest ones are usually made of brass. On the other hand, you can find more luxurious options made of stainless steel and copper.
When purchasing a new garage door, follow this simple rule: the bigger the door, the bigger the lock. In the case of garage doors larger than 15 feet, the lock bar should be made of steel, at least 3 mm thick.
Step-By-Step Guide to Remove Garage Door Lock from Outside
To remove a garage door from the outside, you’ll just need a drill and a drill bit small enough to fit inside the lock. Here’s what you have to do:
- First of all, insert the drill bit into the drill jaws. Then, tighten the chuck to secure the bit in place.
- Then, put on your safety glasses. Small metal pieces ejected from the drilling process may hurt your eyes. Also recommended wearing safety gloves to protect your hands.
- After that, insert the drill bit inside the keyhole. Start drilling using the lowest drilling speed. Then gradually increase the speed while you apply pressure with the drill. Stop when the drill bit penetrates till the other side of the lock.
- After that, replace the drill bit with a thicker one. Then, start drilling again, until you break through the lock. Keep drilling with a thicker drill bit until the internal pins of the lock are broken.
- Once the pins are broken, you can easily remove the garage door lock to replace it with a new one.
After reading this valuable information, replacing a damaged garage door lock will be a piece of cake for you. Just remember to use the required protective equipment to prevent accidents. Also, start drilling with a low speed. That will help you to have a better control and prevent the drill bit to break or get stuck inside the lock.
You’ll also need a long extension cord to reach the nearest outlet. Make sure the outlet can supply the voltage required by the drill. But don’t use a too powerful drill that may damage your garage door.